A visa is a certain sample sticker in a travel document, but it does not in itself give the right to enter the Republic of Latvia. On December 21, 2007, Latvia joined the Schengen Agreement and became a full member of the Schengen Agreement. Consequently, with a Schengen visa issued by Latvia, it is also possible to travel to other member states of the Schengen Agreement. A foreigner who needs to stay in Latvia more than 90 days in a half-year period depending on the circumstances should apply for a long-stay visa (or a residence permit).

Category D visa, or long-stay visa is the national visa of Latvia. It is a single, double or multiple entry visa, allowing a foreigner to enter the Republic of Latvia single-entry, double-entry or unlimited number of times multiple-entry during the period, which is specified in visa. 

Thus, this type of visa allows to stay in the Republic of Latvia for the term indicated in the visa and depart from the Republic of Latvia for the time indicated in the D long-stay visa. 

A long-stay visa shall be issued, if a foreigner needs to stay in the Republic of Latvia for more than 90 days during half a year from the date of first entry and the issue of a D visa:

  • complies with international law;
  • is in the interests of the Republic of Latvia;
  • may be issued in force majeure situation;
  • based on humanitarian considerations;
  • for essential personal or professional reasons.

If the foreigner's entry is aimed at obtaining a residence permit in the Republic of Latvia, a one-time long-stay visa with a period of validity of up to 30 days is issued on the basis of the decision taken by the OCMA to grant a residence permit.

The maximum period of validity of a long-stay visa shall be one year.

A foreigner who holds a valid long-stay D visa issued in a Schengen Member State ( Category D visa) may enter and stay temporarily (for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period) in other Member States of the Schengen Agreement, provided that a foreigner fulfils the entry conditions laid down in the Schengen Borders Code and a report has been issued in the Schengen Information System for the purpose of refusing entry.

With this type of visa it is possible to apply for the decision granting employment rights, which would be included in the decision issuing the D visa.

Depending on the reason for entry and the type of employment, the visa card issued to the foreigner must contain one of the following entries confirming that the foreigner has been entitled to employment in Latvia (proof):


Proof of the right to employment is not required if the foreigner is legally resident in the Republic of Latvia in connection with:

  • participation in guest shows (guest concerts) as a creative artist or performer or as an administrative or technical officer involved in the provision of performances (concerts) and the estimated duration of stay in the Republic of Latvia does not exceed 14 days;
  • an invitation by an educational institution or scientific institution or individual scientist to carry out scientific research or to participate in the implementation of educational programmes and the estimated duration of stay in the Republic of Latvia does not exceed 14 days;
  • a researcher residing in the Republic of Latvia in accordance with the first paragraph of Section 5.2 of the Immigration Act and has been elected to an academic position at a college, university or scientific institute in the Republic of Latvia, or is a student residing in the Republic of Latvia in accordance with Section 5.3 of the Immigration Act and whose employment does not exceed 20 hours per week;
  • a member of the crew of a vessel sailing on an international sea voyage recorded in the Latvian ship register;
  • a member of the crew of a vehicle which is authorised abroad for international transport;
  • legally employed in another Member State of the European Union, the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation and that he is posted by his employer for the provision of services in Latvia for a period not exceeding 90 days within six months;

To apply for category D (long-stay) visa, feel free to contact EU LAW FIRM immigration lawyers - info@eulawfirm.eu

EU LAW FIRM, a leading legal bureau in immigration & business will prepare all the necessary documents for your application in the shortest amount of time possible.

The application for D type visa could be done completely remotely through EU LAW FIRM. 

You can also contact our lawyers via Whatsapp, Viber, Telegram - +37126742086