If you are a foreigner, it is possible to find employment in Latvia/EU. EU LAW FIRM lawyers will consult you throughout the employment finding process, draft the necessary employment contract, prepare the relevant documents and be your contact point for working in the European Union/Latvia.

The legislation of the Republic of Latvia distinguishes between two categories of foreigners:

  • Firstly, citizens of the European Union (citizens of the Member States of the European Union and of the countries of the European Economic Area (27 Member States, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway), also citizens of the Swiss Confederation who have equivalent status to the citizens of the Republic of Latvia.
  • Third-country nationals whose entry and employment in Latvia require additional conditions.

What is the main difference between the procedure for EU citizens and third-country nationals?

  • In accordance wirh EU regulatory framework, citizens of the Union have almost no restrictions on entry, residence and work in Latvia. A citizen of the Union may start work immediately after the conclusion of the employment contract. Union citizens wishing to stay in the Republic of Latvia for more than three months continuously must register within the authorities and obtain a registration certificate, but this registration is not required until the six-month period if the Union citizen stays for the purpose of finding a job.
  • For third-country nationals there are specific restrictions they are subject to, such as for entry (visa is required), residence (residence permit), employment (right to employment), and the employer's responsibility for the employment of a foreigner ( including salary restrictions), residence (residence and healthcare) and other requirements.

The main steps in the process of recruiting foreigners.

  • Vacancy: 
    There are no restrictions on the employment of Union citizens. However, third-country nationals may only be recruited if the vacancy is free for not less than 10 working days. Such vacancies must be officially registered on the CV and vacancy portal of the State Employment Agency.
  • Call/Invitation: 
    If a third-country national is employed short-term, the employer shall submit an invitation request to the authorities and a call request for long-term employment. An approved invitation from the employer is a basis for granting visa and the right to employment in the EU. An approved call is a basis for the granting visa for entry, a residence permit and the right to employment.
  • Visa: 
    A visa + the right to employment, can grant a temporary employment. The visa is issued on the basis of an approved invitation.
  • Residence permit: 
    If a foreigner is employed long-term, a foreigner is required to have a residence permit in Latvia. Third-country nationals who already have a valid residence permit issued by another Schengen Country are entitled to submit documents to apply for a residence permit to the relevant authorities, as well as a national of a state whose nationals do not require a visa or a valid visa with the right to employment for entry into the Republic of Latvia. Other third-country nationals shall request a residence permit at the diplomatic mission or consular post, embassy of the Republic of Latvia abroad. If you are a Union citizen, you are issued with a Union citizen's registration certificate and, after five years of continuous residence in Latvia, a permanent residence certificate is granted. Initially, a permanent residence permit is issued to the foreigner, but after five years of continuous residence in Latvia and the passing of a national language test (at least at A2 level).

To know more about possibilities of employment and immigration in European Union/Latvia, do not hesitate to contact EU LAW FIRM lawyers - info@eulawfirm.eu 

You also can contact us via WhatsApp, Telegram, Imo +37126742086